Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Scottsdale Journey, Troutdale Tragedy

Today was a very full day. We had to leave the house by 9:00 a.m. to get Ken to his dentist appointment in Scottsdale, allowing for a stop at Target on the way to pick up a gift card. After I dropped Ken off, I filled the truck with diesel and made a final stop at the 99¢ Only Store.

Ken was ready shortly and gave me a call. He was very happy with the dental visit and his new permanent crown. We drove through the nearby post office to mail a couple of birthday cards on the way to Jan's.

We were greeted by Happy, Lucky, and Rocky. Happy got his treat and was, well, happy. The cats were curious about everything we brought in (our laundry, the lunch cooler, my purse). I put everything up, but soon heard a crashing sound. Rocky had not been able to restrain his curiosity and had knocked my purse down, fortunately with no breakables inside.

About that time I was checking my Facebook news feed and saw a posting by Chris about a school shooting in Troutdale. That's the small town where we stay when we're in the Portland area. That's too close to Anara's school for comfort. I am shocked and saddened to think that kids aren't safe in school, something that was basically unthinkable when I was in school.

Jan and Larry came home mid afternoon. Jan was very happy to have gotten a good offer on a house she has listed. That was good news, but even better was that she actually sold a house yesterday too.

I joined Jan and Larry again in making sandwiches for the Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program (I-HELP). They go every Tuesday to make sandwiches and pack lunches for the people being served by the program. Afterwards we stopped by the house to pick up Ken to go to Uncle Sal's for dinner.


As usual, the people were friendly and the food delicious. Larry and Jan have lots of friends, and everyone is glad to see them. One couple was celebrating their ninth anniversary. Larry pointed to where he and Jan were sitting when they met. We branched out this time: instead of the chicken breast Ken and I shared shrimp scampi style. We all shared tiramisu for dessert. Jan said it was the best she had ever had, and we agreed.

After dinner we returned to the house to load up all our laundry and other stuff. This time we walked around and made sure we weren't leaving anything behind. Then it was time for goodbye hugs. We're very happy to have met Larry and gotten to spend time with them on this visit.

0 comments: