Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Welcome to Medicare!

This morning we got up early to find it still raining heavily outside, as it had all night, so we didn't get a morning walk. What we did was head over to Flower Mound for our appointments for our one-time-only Welcome to Medicare Physicals. We got there a bit early for our 8:00 a.m. appointments, an achievement in itself for us.

The experience was not as satisfying as we had hoped. The office staff appeared never to have heard of the Welcome to Medicare physical, despite my having specifically made an appointment for it. Neither the doctor nor the staff seemed at all concerned. They generally thought Medicare wouldn't pay for the tests we got, but their only response was to get us to sign two copies of forms indicating that we would pay if Medicare didn't. Sheesh!

Neither of us cared for the doctor. She seemed to us to have a breezy manner that waved off our concerns. She didn't listen well at all. For example, I asked for three vaccines (flu, pneumonia, and tetanus). She asked the nurse to give me the pneumonia shot. I asked about the flu and tetanus. The nurse came back in after a while and gave me a flu shot and asked if I had talked to the doctor about the tetanus shot. You get the picture.

For both Ken and me she changed medications without any explanation at all of why the new ones would be better. We did both get blood work done and EKGs. She referred me for a mammogram and bone density test, and she referred Ken for an upper GI and abdominal ultrasound (in case his gall bladder might be involved in his acid reflux). Fortunately we were able to schedule all the tests this Friday morning.

Welcome to Medicare, indeed! We're thinking we'll try again to find a doctor in the Rio Grande Valley, where we actually spend more time than anywhere else.

Some good things did happen today. Aunt Iris called and sang Happy Birthday to me (every year she thinks my birthday is the 8th, but better early than late!). A package arrived at Ed's for me from Bits and Boards, clearly a birthday present from Chris. Ken sent me a day before my birthday ecard. I've gotten greetings from several people by email or Facebook. Beth tells me I'm only as old as I act (not feel)!

In the late afternoon the sun came out! We went for a quick walk before going over to Ed and Julie's for dinner (yummy parmesan crusted baked chicken). Afterward we played Wii, of course! Both Cate and Sam are very enthusiastic about the games.

Jesse was feeling a bit under the weather today, with two teeth trying to poke out of his gums. I'm definitely feeling under the weather tonight. After three shots I have a very sore arm and headache and chills.

We got a quick update on our truck. It's waiting for parts and *might* be done tomorrow afternoon, but more likely Friday morning. If it's Friday, we'll have to go to Park Place from the hospital.

0 comments: