Saturday, November 8, 2014

MapMyHike

We walked around Trailwood Circle today. Turns out it's almost exactly one mile, doesn't have too much traffic, and is an attractive neighborhood, with great trees and interesting homes. When we started out, I realized that I had forgotten to bring my GPS. What to do? I downloaded a free app to my iPhone called MapMyHike. It has way more bells and whistles than I know what to do with (some of which only work if you pay for premium service).

I like the fact that it logs my walks, so I can look back and see where I walked, including a map, and when, with statistics like time and speed and distance. That will provide good feedback and motivation.

On the second lap around the circle, Sam came along, riding his bike. A little while later, on our third and final lap, Cate and Sam rode their bikes, and Julie and Jesse walked with us. Julie was walking Charley. She says that Bijoux has gotten so old and tired that she never even asks to go along on walks.

This evening Ed and Cate and Ken and I played a game of Rummikub. Lots of other games were going on too, including several Words With Friends games and the kids' electronic gadgets.

The VFW has a five-acre lake. So far we've seen several herons. Today we spotted some unusual ducks.


0 comments: