Monday, February 1, 2010

Flying

Gary picked us up for the trip to McAllen International Airport just before 9:30 a.m. Sounds like an impressive place, doesn't it? Actually, although small, it is a very modern, pleasant airport. I had plenty of time to soak up the ambience before my 11:20 flight. The only think I noticed was different about the security check was that you can now leave your laptop in its case if it's a "checkpoint friendly" case. Wow, progress. Oops, actually, the bins piled up exiting the scanner and dumped all my possessions on the belt, where I had to scramble to retrieve them.

The hour and a half flight was uneventful--just time to look through the Sky Mall and the American Way Magazine and scan the USA Today before we touched down in Dallas. DFW is quite a contrast to the small friendly McAllen airport. Julie's dad, Jerry, picked me up and before I knew it, Julie's mom, Martha, put a tiny 6 lb. something baby boy in my arms. What a little doll he is, this Jesse Edward Shaffer. At this stage he is a great sleeper. Nothing much disturbs him, even his big brother, Sam, playing the drums.

After a while Cate came home from school, and later Ed came in from work and Kelley came over for dinner. With the two dogs, Bijou and Charlie, we had quite a troup and a happy evening. Ed had a present for me, a big box of Whitman's chocolates, and I do mean BIG, so everyone had a piece of their favorite candy for dessert.

Sam and Cate both like chocolate, as you can see.

Kelley, just 22, and Jesse, just born--my oldest and youngest grandchildren. Aren't they both beautiful?

0 comments: