Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cooking

The highlight today, besides holding the baby and playing with the kids, was cooking up a storm. I wanted to leave Julie with some meals in the freezer. The first step was to clean out and reorganize the freezer. In the process I found a piece of frozen ham, which quickly became part of some navy bean soup for dinner. Then I went to the store for provisions. I made a chicken enchilada casserole (a favorite around our house for years and always called "Betty McDonald Casserole" in honor of the friend who gave us the recipe).  It was put in a foil lined casserole dish so that the dish would be easy to clean. Don't you just hate baked on casserole remnants?

Next came a meatloaf, for which I lined the pan with foil so that once it was frozen it could be taken out, wrapped, and frozen separately. When Julie is ready to bake it, all she has to do is open the top of the foil and put it in the pan, which will then be very easy to clean. Neat trick.

Finally I made a big batch of spaghetti sauce, which I always find handy to have in the freezer.

0 comments: