Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Austin Again

We were pretty satisfied with ourselves last night when we chose a place to park along a far curb, behind another fifth wheel that had arrived before us. Unfortunately it was the noisiest spot in a long while. First we heard very loud rock music, and then we began to notice large trucks whizzing past, sounding like jets trying to take off. We were apparently parked right next to a regular route for large, loud trucks. Despite the noise, we both got a pretty good night’s sleep.

This morning I called Loretta again to check on Teresa’s status and to make plans to get together this afternoon--if all worked out. Later I saw that I had missed a call from her and listened to a voicemail: Teresa was being checked out at the hospital.

We set up camp in site #29 at McKinney Falls State Park. It's a semicircular pull-through with a good view of the southern sky. It took a bit of maneuvering to position the rig, and we were concerned that we might not be able to get it level, but everything worked out fine.


When I called Loretta, she said that Teresa had been sent home from the hospital. We agreed that I would drive over so Loretta could stay close at hand in case she was needed to do Grandma duty.

When I arrived at Teresa's, Loretta and little Joe came out to greet me. Isaac, his younger brother, was napping, but I got to meet him later. It was nice to see Teresa, who is of course extremely pregnant.

Loretta and I went to the Barton Creek Greenbelt to walk. It's a nice peaceful trail--except for the bicyclists who come zooming past, often with little warning. We had an enjoyable conversation. I'd like to do this more often, which might be easier to plan if Loretta and John decide to relocate to Austin after John retires next summer.


It was dark when I drove back to the park. Only my GPS guided me back in the dark. The park itself is extremely dark at night, and I feared getting lost on the way to our site. Ken had all the outside lights on, so that made home easier to find.

0 comments: