Saturday, June 2, 2012

Old Friends

We went to Romney's C-1 dance this evening at Mel's Place. It's right next door to the Goodwill, so we went early. I took in our items to donate and spent half an hour bargain hunting. Most of the prices were too high, but I did find one drawer organizer. Not exactly a banner day for thrifting. As I was looking through the items, I heard a voice say, "You don't have room for anything." I turned and saw Pat Hill. Several of the dancers come a bit early to check out the Goodwill.

When we walked into the hall, I saw John and Peggy sitting there. How wonderful it is to have friends, even ones we haven't seen for three years. All the tips were on computer, but we got to dance several with them. Not surprising, since there were only three squares. Les and Carol were there too (from San Diego). After the dance we went to Coco's along with Ruth and Jerry, Les and Carol, Ron and Margie, and John and Peggy. We had a good time, and some really good fresh strawberry pie. We'll be dancing with most of the group tomorrow at the Trailblazers C-1 session. It starts at 11:15 a.m. in Paramount, so we'll have to get our act together a bit earlier.

Earlier today we went to the nearby Target, where Ken found the Birds in a Tree wall decal we've been looking for. Success! When we got home, we put it up in the toilet room. That was pretty much the only wall large enough to hold it. I was quite pleased with the effect. I like the colors and the organic theme.




I made another slow cooker recipe today, a Mexican rice and beans casserole. I found it on the brown rice bag. We thought it was very good, and it's certainly easy to cook in the slow cooker. This is the third meal I've fixed in the slow cooker, and so far all of them have turned out well. I just have to remember to start earlier to work on dinner than my usual custom--which has generally been to look around at dinner time and figure out what to fix.

It was really nice to see John and Peggy and dance with them again. But we learned some distressing news. John has had surgery for prostate cancer, which the surgeon thought had gotten all the cancer cells. Apparently some cancer remains, because John's PSA levels are rising.

0 comments: