Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fun in Tyler

This morning I got up early to go garage saling with Carol. She had scoped out the ads and knew where each sale was located and was familiar with the neighborhoods and with the people who have regular sales. As you can see, she has this down to a science, and she has lots of garage sale finds to show for it. We each found several good items. My prize was a boxed set of David Sedaris audiobook CD's, which Ken and I will enjoy listening to as we travel. The morning brought back happy memories of old times in Nacogdoches when I would often accompany Carol on her garage sale forays.

Afterwards Carol invited me to go to aerobics with her. I was glad to have a chance to exercise, and I even remembered a lot of the step routines, but after about 20 minutes I realized that I was tiring quickly. It's clear that I'm really out of shape!

Ken came in to town around 11 and he and I went shopping. We had some things to get at Target, and we wanted to check Best Buy for Droid cases. We looked several places and finally decided to wait until more Droid accessories are available, which we expect they will be soon.

After a quick lunch we watched a DVD that Debbie had brought over: State of Play starring Russell Crowe and Ben Afleck. It was a fast paced political action thriller that we all enjoyed. I was especially glad to see Helen Mirren as the editor.

Then Dick and Carol took us to Luby's Cafeteria for a yummy dinner and then to a rhythm and blues show at Caldwell Auditorium. Lead singer Edwin Holt belted out songs from the repertory of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke. We all enjoyed his rendition of "Under the Boardwalk" with backup singers reminiscent of the Raylettes. The concert was unusual because members of the East Texas Symphony Orchestra played along with the sax, drums, trumpet, and electric guitars, so on one side of the stage was a dais where the conductor stood.

Edwin Holt and his group entertain the Tyler crowd.


Ken was having a problem with his Droid today--the sound had almost no volume, even turned up as high as possible. He finally called Verizon customer service

0 comments: