Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day

We joined friends at the Tilted Kilt to celebrate St. Paddy's Day with some "Irish" food and maybe some green beer. We joined Hardy and Judy, Steve and Jan, and Hal and Dorothy for a late lunch. I was especially looking forward to having some corned beef and cabbage. It's one of my favorites, but Ken doesn't care for it at all, so it's been a long time since I tasted any.

Well, I still haven't (except technically). When my plate arrived, it had a couple of slices of corned beef, some lightly steamed shredding cabbage and some steamed baby cut carrots and a few small chunks of potato. None of the veggies had any seasoning at all. Definitely not like my momma used to make.

However, the green beer and the company were good, so we had fun. Judy brought green beads which all of us shared. She had on a shirt that said "Kiss me, I'm part Irish." She's probably the one of the group with the most actual Irish ancestry.



Afterward we went to Green Gate Grove. We were tempted to snooze, but instead took our afternoon walk. I turned on the Jetpack, but was dismayed to see a "Welcome to Mexico" message. I turned it off immediately in fear of the dreaded exorbitant international roaming charges. Tomorrow I'll call Millenicom to get instructions on how to set the device to avoid international towers. What a disappointment.

Then we set to work putting in fertilizer spikes around the citrus trees. At least that was the plan. First I had to go over to Steve and Jan's and borrow a hammer. Then we realized that the ground was just too hard for the spikes to penetrate. The instructions suggested watering first, so we set up the sprinklers.

Meanwhile I wanted to spray some bug spray around the foundations. When I started, I was immediately overcome by spray blown back at me by the wind. After I stopped coughing, we decided to try again another day with long sleeve shirts and face masks.

We did manage to collect the linens we want to take with us and pack them in compression bags. This is actually kind of fun. We ran out of time and had to rush to eat some supper and change clothes for our evening C-2 workshop with Darryl at TVA. That went quite well, we thought. Of course we boggled on some of the calls, but generally managed okay and even enjoyed ourselves.

When we got home, we turned on the TV to watch the next episode of Cosmos. We were dismayed to find that our stupid DVR had tried to record the Spanish version on a channel we don't even get and hadn't recorded the English version on the channel we do get. Fortunately, it was repeating at 11:00, so we set it to record but also sat down to watch it. It's a fabulous show, but our eyes were drifting shut, so we'll have to finish watching tomorrow.

0 comments: