Thursday, February 3, 2011

Good Day to Cocoon!

Well, we survived another cold day. The high was maybe 33 degrees with a low of 25 and snow expected tonight. We went over (actually, we drove over) to the exercise room and watched the TV reports of the great winter storm while we exercised. It's not near as much fun as walking outdoors, but at least you don't freeze exposed skin!

Besides, you get a chance to talk to people. A woman named Barbara visited with me while I was riding the exercise bike. She and her husband have a home in Canada. They like to bike and kayak. Her mother is 95, but very healthy. In the past she has gotten increasingly anxious when Barbara and her husband traveled, but recently her car died and she reluctantly agreed that she shouldn't drive. Barbara says that actually it was a good change for her mom, since she now visits with her fellow passengers on city buses and transport vans. She has seemed to tolerate their absence better this trip.

The only thing we accomplished today was getting the laundry done for another week. I made the mistake of deciding to iron something. When I put the iron down, it jumped off the ironing board and committed hara-kiri. Well, darn. We took it over to Guest Relations and they kindly said not to worry, they'd take care of it. I should have known better than ironing....

We got our new passports today. They're electronic passports, meaning they have an embedded chip with all our info that special machines can read. Unfortunately, that makes them stiff, and they come with a warning not to bend them.


I combined two recipes to make tonight's dinner: one, from the web, is called "A mildly simple recipe involving tofu." [http://thepeoplesnature.com/category/healthy/] The second, from Carol, is called Aromatic Noodles with Lime Peanut Sauce. I took these as my jumping off point, and as usual adapted as the spirit moved me. Yum.

I called the hospital in Flower Mound today to pay a bill, but I got a recording indicating that their offices were closed due to inclement weather.

0 comments: