Saturday, June 27, 2009

Judy's Garden

Tom and Nanci took Frank and Valerie and Ken and me over to Tom's sister's house to see the handiwork of the master gardener. We were definitely in for a treat. Mike and Judy graciously invited us into their home of 35 years and gave us a tour of their yard. We couldn't begin to take it all in--something new awaited at every step of the way. Judy has planted things that grow and bloom at different seasons, so there is always color. In addition, she has tucked in a variety of fruits and vegetables, so they have fresh produce all summer long.

On our way home we stopped at Spooner Farms where I picked some really flavorful local strawberries. Nothing like fresh from the field (or even fresh in the field 8-)

On my morning walk I headed north of the Chehalis Western Trail. When it intersected Ranier Rd., I decided to take Ranier to Fir Tree, which I remembered from the Olympia map should take me home. I was right about that, but unclear about the distance. After walking 3 miles, I called Ken to come pick me up. It turned out that I was still a mile from home. That experience prompted me to install the City Navigator maps for North America on my laptop and transfer Canada and the northern US to my GPS unit. Now I'll have at least an inkling of what the roads look like when I set out to walk, plus we'll be able to use the Canadian portion when we're driving in Canada, since Rosie has only US maps.

Ken called Verizon to get some information on adding Canadian service for our cellphones during our trip. We'll have to call just before we leave the country to activate it.
Tonight we watched a new episode of Masterpiece Mystery, an Agatha Christie story, Cat Among the Pigeons, starring David Suchet as Poirot. It's a rather far-fetched tale, but entertaining.

0 comments: